Shimmering Elderflower Mocktail Recipe
In June, small white blossoms begin to bloom on Elderberry bushes. These little blooms have long been used for teas & cordials, especially for their immune boosting properties. But their allure is not only in the health benefits. Elderflowers offer the most sweet, floral smell and lend themselves perfectly to a cold summer drink.
If you're lucky enough to have an elderberry bush to pick your own blooms from, you can easily make your own elderflower simple syrup at home.
elderflower simple syrup
- 15-20 elderflower sprays (also called umbels!)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 lemon zest & juice
1. Wash elderflowers and remove from stems. The stems can be toxic so you want to remove as much as possible. Scissors is an easy way to do this!
2. Combine lemon zest, juice & elderflowers in a large bowl.
3. Bring water and sugar to a boil in a saucepan, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
4. Pour hot water & sugar mixture over elderflowers & lemon. Stir to combine.
5. Cover the bowl with a lid or plastic wrap, allow to sit for 48 hours, stirring occasionally.
6. After 48 hours pour your syrup through a sieve and into jars or bottles for storing.
Now that you've made your delicious homemade elderflower syrup, turn it into an elegant drink, like our Shimmering Elderflower mocktail! Try it with a shot of Kettle One Grapefruit Rose Vodka or Dillon's Rose Gin for a delicious summer cocktail!
SHIMMERING ELDERFOWER MOCKTAIL
- 1 oz elderflower syrup (more to taste if you like!)
- 3 oz Fentiman's Rose Lemonade
- 3 oz Grapefruit Bubly
Combine all ingredients in a glass over ice. Garnish with elderflowers.