NATURAL DYED EASTER EGGS
Easter can be one of those holidays that sneaks up on us very quickly! That is likely because the date changes every year, so it’s easy to lose track of when we are supposed to be preparing for. So, if you’re finding yourself looking for a unique last minute DIY, this year try making some traditional decorations in a (probably what we shouldn’t be calling) non-traditional way. The reality is, this is probably the original way of dying Easter eggs, but the most common method these days is picking up colouring from the store or buying a decorating kit. It’s mesmerizing to see the natural colours that come from plants, and you may not even need a trip to the store to create these natural Easter egg dyes!
A quick shop through your fridge and pantry, and a few mason jars is all you need. The process is actually quite simple & easy! We used red cabbage, beets, haskap berries & turmeric to make 4 colourful dyes. You could try this method with any foods with a strong pigment – blueberries, dark cherries, even coffee or wine!
1. Roughly chop veggies. We used half a red cabbage, one medium sized beet, 2 tablespoons turmeric & half a cup of haskap berries.
2. For each colour of dye you wish to make, add 4 cups of water into a pot as well as the ingredient to dye the water. Bring to a boil then remove from heat and let stand until cool.
3. Meanwhile, hard boil eggs (We did ours in an Instant Pot with 2 cups of water for 4 mins on high pressure. Quick release the steam). Allow to cool.
4. Add 2 tbsp of white vinegar to each colour of dye and strain into individual jars.
5. Add eggs and let them soak in the dye for 2 hours or more if desired (overnight works too!) Stir occasionally to make sure egg is being coated evenly.
6. Remove eggs from dye onto paper towels. Allow to dry.
7. Rub eggs with vegetable or coconut oil and buff with a paper towel for a shiny finish!
And just like that, you have your own beautifully, naturally coloured eggs! We even tried mixing the dyes to make more colour combinations and ended up with a beautiful light green speckled egg! You'll be so proud of your creations that you'll want to put them on display in these adorable egg cups!
If you're feeling behind on your Easter plans this year, we're here to help with our Easter Pre-Order Meals! From our Easter Brunch Box to Strawberry Rhubarb Cheesecake & Cookie Decorating Kits, we're here to make your Easter a memorable, delicious event!
Hoppy Easter Everyone!